Monday, June 11, 2007

Zack Harrison Memorial Music Monday

Hey there sports fans. So, I was able to both watch The Sopranos and go to The Hold Steady. Which was totally sweet and awesome. Ohmygoditwasgreat. Blitzen Trapper solidly opened the show. I'm not all that familiar with their stuff beyond "Texaco," but I was impressed and will be downloading more. At one point, the lead singer asked how the crowd knew their music. It was silent. I didn't have the heart to scream out pandora.com! Next up was Illinois, who rocked the shit out of the place. I'm a sucker for "Screen door," in fact, it might be my summer song, and was delighted to hear it live. Then, the magic that is The Hold Steady started. If you've listened at all, you know that it's kinda campy bar music, but sometimes more subversive, sometimes more musical than it lets on. You also know that Craig Finn sorta talk-sings every song. To see him do it live, was both strange and fantastic. He kinda twitches about, makes strange gestures with his eyes and hands, dances like a small child with jerky kicks and goofy stares. Weird, but intriguing. Also, I realized why I like (love) him so much - he sounds like John McCrea of Cake with the monotone sometimes. Anyway, they trounced through a lot of the new album and some classics like "Your Little Hoodrat Friend" and "Killer Parties." They did not play "Chillout Tent" which was a travesty as I had dreams of being pulled on stage to sing the lady part. But, this absence made me realize that "You Can Make Him Like You" is the real standout on this album, hands down, it's the best song. By the end of the night I was totally and happily spent, drenched in a mixture of my own sweat (it was fucking sweltering in there - Opolis, get some air conditioning or something - perhaps a window) and Craig Finn's spit. I also realized that I like rocker boys. Perhaps it's because I'm creatively stifled and fairly straight laced that I want someone kind of nuts, but talented. In fact, thinking back to all of the booty/non-relationships I've had over the past year, 75% have been in bands and one kid lived with the band, that counts, right? The show ended with a father/son/son (the little kid was 10!) team, who have apparently been following the band around, coming on stage and rocking out while the crowd went nuts. It was a nice feeling. Exhausted, Josh and I walked outside into the rain and had to sit on the sidewalk to immediately discuss what we thought. I gotta say, I'm more into The Hold Steady than ever.

Hey, here's a shitty picture from my phone!


This week's playlist (All stars in bold):

The Beast and Dragon, Adored - Spoon
Ladyflash - The Go! Team
D.A.N.C.E. - Justice: WARNING. You will tire of this song very soon even though it's kind of awesome. Be careful.



Make it Up - Carla Werner
Cloche - French Kicks
Alison - Elvis Costello
Oversleeping - I'm From Barcelona
I'm Sorry I Love You - The Magnetic Fields
Come to Me - Koop
Hurry Before Worry - Downtown Harvest
Aguas de Marzo - Antonio Carlos Jobim and Elis Regina
Melt Your Heart - Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins
Dreamers and Giants - Blitzen Trapper
You're a Wolf - Sea Wolf
Lazy Lover - Brazilian Girls
The White Whale - Beirut
Thirteen - Big Star
Brother - Annuals
Alone Again - Illinois
Demon Days - Gorillaz

23 comments:

Mr. Shain said...

You and your brother are totally BFFs. Gross.

blythe said...

as a sad and lonely only child, you will never understand the joy of siblings. tragic.

5 of 9er said...

Way to make it all happen! :)

Anonymous said...

that wasn't sweat, those weren't rocker 'boys', and you're not creatively stifled. there comes a time in every budding lesbian's life when creativity and untamed wanton desires coalesce. for a while they parade around together flaunting each other, flirting with one another, the mating dance that can entrance us all from time to time. most of us can separate one from the other in time before 'the change'. but alas, others cannot. bee-spot, it's better you you hear it from someone who cares about you: you're not that creative. and you're a lesbian. yur creativity isn't stifled. it was never there. i know, iknow, "what an asshole", right? i feel that when the best stuff of your blog comes from others, its time your blogging priveleges have been revoked. consider this your intervention. as for your torrid affair with temptation. the vagina can be a rapacious mistress. do not be fooled by its kind words and promises of strawberries and mutton. its world is a dark place and is not to be trifled with. just remember, we all love you and we support your journey down down the pink and lonely road. XOXO. call to action: show bee-spot your support, friends. ler her know we all care.

blythe said...

i would think that this was matt, but there are too many big word for an occc kid.

Jess said...

I'm a complete dork when I hear Hold Steady songs because I always think "Hey, I live on that street!" or "I totally know where that is!"

Also anonymous sucks. Grow some balls and leave your name.

blythe said...

9er - i can multi-task with the best of them.

clinton - oh, it was soooo good. it was a super tiny venue, so i literally got spit on a few times when i pushed my way closer to the front. i can imagine they're pretty rad when a shitload of people are singing along, too, though. not too many knew all the words, a la myself, but i belted them out anyway. it was one of the best shows i've been to to date. i'm pretty sure they're going to play another nyc show, so fret not. i'm not so sure they're ever making it back to oklahoma. sweetness!

jess - yeah, i can imagine! i got excited when they mentioned dallas for one second. dork out with pride!

JulieGong said...

I could never get tired of Justice. Never.

Anonymous said...

yeah, like jess. way to set the gold standard!

Anonymous said...

my name is matt btw. i can't remember my password and i like to leave comments as anonymous to mess with bee-spot. so jess, mind your beeswax. zing!

Anonymous said...

also, jess, you have enough balls for all of us. please reference above comment. double zing!

Anonymous said...

i also forgot to thank dictionary.com for all my big words. that's one thing OCCC did teach me was how to look up shit on the internet. hooray for scool!

Anonymous said...

what happned on the sopranos? i heard it sucked!

Mr. Shain said...

zing?

The [Cherry] Ride said...

Make me a CD!

blythe said...

but of course, for a small fee.

Mr. Shain said...

blythe has told me to comment and defend her honor. i'm not sure what honor is left, but i can definitely attest to the non-lesbianism. i've seen her hook up with most of the guys under 40 in OK. ok, not most, but enough. also she hates the word moist, which i think is an automatic DQ for lesbians. also, she may be dating her brother--another dyke no-no. she does love ina garten, i dont know which side that supports.

Mr. Shain said...

PS - sorry brother bee-spot, no offense. it;s just for ratings. i'll see you in class next fall.

Jess said...

Ack! I've been zinged! Twice even.

I'll crawl back to my hole now to regain my strength through booze.

blythe said...

you and me both.

blythe said...

shain - thanks! that was great!

Jess said...

I like the new look. It's so ... clean.

blythe said...

thank, yo. i'm still workin' on it. gotta get some html skillz.