Thursday, December 07, 2006

My name is Blythe and I'm a blogoholic

I've been obsessively compelled to read blogs and create my own since August of this year (I've always been a late bloomer. Except for my boobs. I got those when I was about 11). I cannot go for more than 24 hours without reading something about someone else's life or telling others about mine (or lack thereof). This is a problem as it is now interfering with my social life (or lack thereof) and sleep patterns (or lack thereof).

- I do not live in New York City (although, to be fair to myself, I did spend a blissful summer near Columbia right after high school and have pretty much been smitten ever since and the city would be the better for having me in residence), but I still need to know everything going on, not that I understand it, and everything about everyone who lives there, not that I'd ever meet them. It's a sickness. An evil sickness. It's Monday afternoon and I take a look at Slack Lalane, click a link here, a link there and suddenly it's Tuesday night. This is becoming worse than my diet coke addiction. And I have a diet coke IV.

News: Gawker, Jossip, Apiary, Gothamist, NY Magazine...

A sampling of people: Everything Is Wrong With Me, Monkey In My Pants, High Class Jackass, Logged Hours, fauxy dot net, Slack Lalane, Copyranter, Cole Slaw, Pissed and Pretty, Things That Make You Go Hmm, This Girl Called Automatic Win, Worker #3116...

- Although I see and speak with Siobhlogger, Alabracadabra, Pregnantigoni, Acorn to Tree, Laceybug and Pulp on a regular basis, I still find myself checking their blogs as if something could happen about which I don't already know. It's silly, really.

- I'm convinced no one likes me because I receive so few comments. I think I should talk to a therapist about this, or find a blog that talks about this.

- I am obsessed with celebrity gossip. I check in with Perez more than the New York Times. Why do I need to read an interview with Paris' waxer? I just fucking do. A high school friend was friends with MollyGood in college. When I found this out, I literally squealed. Not a good sign.

Other sources of celebrity goodness: TMZ, PerezHilton, Defamer, Best Week Ever, Page Six

- Being single and blogging seem to go hand in hand or something (Charming But Single, Downtown Chic, Desperate Guy, Girlfriend 07 etc.). So I duly complied. Note: it has not helped me become unsingle, which is not a word.

HELP ME!!! Is there some group I can join? Via the Internet?

or, better yet, start a blog, link me to yours, send a comment, let's talk about Gawker...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

brian has a new blog now...maybe that could keep you busy.

www.oneofthesethingsisnotliketheother.blogspot.com

Dan Nolan said...

I would suggest quitting the diet coke - or at least don't eat mentos afterwards. that stuff is vol a tile.

as for the blog neurosis about people not commenting on your posts, it's a very real phenomenon called Warnock's Dilemma, which I have summarized along with discussion of my own online neuroses here.

blogging = serious business.

Dan Nolan said...

also, I am a giant dork.

just clarifying.

Siobhlogger said...

I think you should clarify that you are doing all of this blogging WITHOUT your own personal computer. Impressive!

alabra said...

i obsessively check yours and siobhlogger's blog. even when i've seen you recently. and i mean, like within a few hours. i think it's because it validates my own existence in some way.

blythe said...

well, thanks kids.

and i totally have warnock's dilemma or some variation. glad to hear it's not just me.

Unknown said...

It's always obsessive when you first start. I used to call my blog my best friend, then I ran out of things to write about. I assure you- all the blogs you listed are all friends of mine except for the single ladies items- we aren't fans so much of the sex and the city bloggers- and they are all completely normal. And sometimes boring as even we run out of content. For instance, it's a friday night and some of us have been online all day discussing how there's nothing going on tonite. And I am too lazy to play social coordinator and tired, very tired. It's fucking cold out there!

G said...

Comment: comment!

Nothing much to say these days without feeling like a total tool.

blythe said...

thanks for all the thoughts, kids. i feel better already! but that does not get you off the hook for future comments. no sir.