Monday, December 11, 2006

Abercrombie's got my number.


Whilst Christmas shopping, I happened to pass in front of A&F at my local shopping center. One whiff of whatever cologne they've got going on in there, and I pretty much needed to sit down. Whoever does their market research, they're doing a damn fine job. I suppose I'm not Abercrombie's targeted demographic as I don't drive an SUV, use my parent's credit card, watch the O.C., am not a size 0, etc... but they still got me. For a long time, I was tricked into thinking that my last boyfriend's shiteous b.o. was somehow rugged and charming. Seriously, he refused to wear deodorant for a few years (something about the aluminum, wha? Gay.). Well, friends, I'm over that. I want a man that doesn't smell like a gyro wrapped in gym socks left on a radiator. I'm not pleased to admit that I repeatedly swoon at the contrived scent of such a socially (and culturally) irresponsible commercial giant, but there you go. Maybe it's the smell of capitalism that I'm enjoying.




6 comments:

John said...

Mmmmmm, capitalism.

alabra said...

abercrombie and fitch hires 20-something yr old abercrombie-ites to refashion, recirculate, and reproduce the abercrombie image, thus saturating the marketing image with more abercrombieness. they keep their brand consistent by hiring their brandees to be their branders. i know this from personal experience (their headquarters are in ohio and i've known marketers from there - too cool for school). of course, one can make the argument that really abercrombie is a simulacrum - a parody of itself. that is, if you're a total pomo asshole. although, it is more fun thinking about abercrombieites as paradoying themselves without even knowing it. wow, it really is the end of the semester.

Unknown said...

Actually the aluminum compound you allude to is the active ingredient in antiperspirants. "Deodorants" are just highly-persistent perfumes that cover up BO. I have not used an antiperspirant in at least 5 years, partly because of the aluminum issue. Would you put something on your skin with "aluminum zirconium tricholorohydrex glycine" in it? Deodorant is the way to go.

Unknown said...

And, by the way, I wear Ralph Lauren Romance Silver. None of this A&F bullshit.

blythe said...

you never know what posts are going to generate comments. weird.

i'm not sure what pomo asshole means.

yes, i know the aluminum/deodorant/antiperspirant issue. the boy still stank to high heaven.

i approve of ralph lauren.

blythe said...

um. so, i totally watched the OC last night (and i kinda liked it). I blame Eliza.