Thursday, March 06, 2008

OHMYGOD WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

This morning, as I was taking the detour off Sheilds that led me to a detour off whatever street that was which made me want to kill someone, I was listening to a little NPR. I hear the familiar and strangely hypnotic voice of the StarDate lady. Usually, I block her out or become entranced, I'm not sure which, but this time, something caught my attention. Namely the fact that, potentially, we're all going to die because this star's going to explode our ozone layer and stuff. Bad news bears, but wait, it gets better. This other star might explode, but instead of the ozone crap, it would cause a gamma ray burst, which would exterminate life on earth in a mess of fires and storms and deadly particles oh my! This is what StarDate lady says exactly:

"Luckily for us, gamma-ray bursts seem to beam into space from the poles of the exploding star. The poles of Eta Carinae don’t aim our way, so we’re probably safe from this doomed star."


Probably safe? Holy ozone depleting deadly particle riddled balls! This woke me up right in time to realize just how ugly downtown OKC is. Really. Don't visit.

8 comments:

The [Cherry] Ride said...

But when?? Should I even bother going to class for the rest of semester?

Clinton said...

I'm pretty much over this planet anyway. Bring on the gamma whatevers!

Michael5000 said...

I had forgotten the Stardate lady. The other one we don't get out here is "Music From the Hearts of Space." That one cracked me up, every time.

Safe journeys, space fans....

John said...

Gamma ray bursts are pretty bad news. I've heard that some paleontologists think they're responsible for mass-extinction events in our distant past.

However, Eta Carina is about 7.5k light years away and it will be a few million years until it explodes, so its nothing I'm going to worry too much about.

Anonymous said...

Just get the military on it. They'll shoot it out of the sky like that falling satellite.

Big Daddy said...

The apocalypse is actually scheduled for 12.21.2012.

So@24 said...

Do you ever wonder what Cherry Glazer looks like as much as I do?

CGHill said...

Which gives me an idea: train a gamma-ray burst on the intersection of SW 4th and Robinson, and stand back.