Monday, November 03, 2008

Zack Harrison Memorial Music Monday: Election Eve Edition

During the 2000 election (my first), I was attending school for an ill-fated semester at Rhodes College in Memphis with a dorm full of WASPs of the first degree - fish out of water city. Gore won Shelby county, but he lost his home state. I was crushed, but I still had no idea what were were getting into. Round two, I was up in the MA, Kerry's home turf, ensconced in a liberal enclave, confident that Amurkuh had learned from its mistake and would rectify the situation. I had a little election watch party. By 3am, everyone was gone. I sat on my big blue couch, numb. I've already done my voting, and this time, in a state that will go my way (obvs, not OK), but I'm still not holding out any hope. As wonderful as this country is, it still has a long way to go.

Not election related songs, just things I've been listening to on repeat:

Trying My Best To Love You - Jenny Lewis (from Acid Tongue)
She Came In Through The Bathroom Window - The Beatles
True Affection - The Blow
Where Do You Go To (My Lovely) - Peter Sarstedt
Papers In Order - The Old Ceremony
All Night - Sam Phillips
Sweet Lorraine - Patty Griffin
Sun Will Shine Again - Slackstring
Bag Lady - Erykah Badu

1 comment:

Mr. Shain said...

i think i may lock myself in my office tomorrow, go directly home after work, and down a bottle of merlot and a handful of ambien just to avoid the roller coaster that will be election day. i just can't deal with the stress right now. or i might just get drunk and walk around downtown with champagne celebrating. either way.